FERONIA INC. APPOINTS ESG PROJECT DIRECTOR
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Oct. 6, 2014) - Feronia Inc. ("Feronia" or the "Company") (TSX VENTURE:FRN) is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr. Pierre Bois d'Enghien as Environmental, Social and Governance ("ESG") Project Director. He will be responsible for the ongoing implementation of the Company's Environmental and Social Action Plan ("ESAP").
Pierre has a master's degree in Environmental Sciences, is a qualified ISO 14001 Environmental Internal Auditor and Occupational Health and Safety Advisor and recently qualified as an RSPO lead auditor.
He has worked extensively in the palm oil industry across South East Asia and Africa, including at Feronia's Yaligimba plantation from 1989 to 1991. More recently, Pierre was Manager of the Sustainability Department for Socfin Group where he implemented Environmental Management Systems according to ISO 14001 standards across Africa. Pierre will spend a significant amount of time at the Company's operations in Kinshasa and at each of its three plantation sites in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Raymond Batanga, Chief Operating Officer of Feronia commented: "Attracting someone of Pierre's caliber to lead Feronia's ESG project is a considerable achievement for the Company.
"When we began the process of rehabilitating our palm oil business in 2009, years of severe underinvestment meant that we had to initially concentrate on investing in key infrastructure to allow the resumption of production. Now, with most key infrastructure investments completed, we are able to focus on ESG and long-term investments in our social infrastructure. Our Environmental and Social Action Plan places community and sustainability at the heart of Feronia's agenda and Pierre's appointment is indicative of our determination to reach and maintain the highest standards in these critical areas."
Pierre Bois d'Enghien added: "As an ESG specialist, it is important to me that any company I work for is 100% committed to achieving the highest ESG standards. This is certainly the case with Feronia and I am delighted to be leading this project. Having worked for Feronia's palm oil business 23 years ago when it was in its prime, I know how great the business once was. To now be part of the team restoring it to its former greatness and overseeing the transition to international ESG standards and best practice, is truly a privilege."
About Feronia Inc.
- Feronia Inc. is a large-scale commercial farmland and plantation operator in the Democratic Republic of the Congo ("DRC").
- The Company uses modern agricultural practices to operate and develop its oil palm plantations and arable farming business division.
- Feronia believes in the immense agricultural potential of the DRC for high-quality foodstuffs and edible oils given its ideal climate, excellent soil and highly skilled and experienced workforce.
- Feronia's management team is comprised of senior agriculturalists with extensive experience in managing both plantations and large-scale mechanized farming operations in emerging markets.
- Feronia is committed to sustainable agriculture, environmental protection and providing support for local communities.
- For more information please see www.feronia.com
Neither the TSX Venture Exchange nor its regulation services provider (as that term is defined in the policies of the TSX Venture Exchange) accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.